Thursday, February 28, 2008

Drinking beer through a straw is just not the same!

So last night I was able to finally drink after two weeks of no alcohol...only problem was that I still can't use my arms so thank goodness for bendy straws-albeit its quit a different experience. I also received more information about what my possible treatments will be. In two weeks I will go in for the chest biopsy which means another surgery and at least three to four more days in the hospital. However, I have to admit I can't complain too much as we now refer to Hoag Hospital as Hoag Hotel since I get to order every meal with a array of delicatessens ranging from spaghetti and meatballs to filet mignon-I kid you not. Brooke is already nervous since she gained three pounds eating my chocolate chip cookies during the last visit.

Then depending on the results of the biopsy, I will have two different treatments. If the nodes in my chest come out negative for cancer (which would mean that I have Stage III cancer), then I will undergo six treatments of chemotherapy, once every three weeks. Then I will have five weeks of radiation. Unfortunately, if I have radiation treatment, I will not be able to to get reconstructive surgery for one year after my last radiation treatment.

If it turns out that the nodes in my chest do have cancer (which would mean that I have Stage IV cancer), then I would be able to take this new type of chemotherapy, which would only require six treatments every two weeks and I would not have to undergo radiation treatment.

So the irony of my situation is that I am literally hoping that I have Stage IV cancer so that my treatment will be easier and faster...now isn't that f@#$ up :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

CHEERS!! There is nothing wrong with beer through a straw once in a while (sure you did it in college at least once). Glad to hear you have an idea of what the road ahead looks like. Stay strong and keep "Kicking Cancers A%@" My thoughts and prayers are always with you.

Cousin Tom

Anonymous said...

Do beer bongs.

Or go tropical - Pina Coladas and Mai Tais! The straw becomes part of the garnish!

XOXOXO

Susan

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're healing well, enjoy the beer however you can get it! And, yes, I agree with you totally, that is incredibly f---d up ... I'm so sorry you are faced with such unpleasant possibilities. Keep doing whatever you are doing though, because you're constantly impressing me with your courage, strength, and humor! Oh, and you look GREAT, by the way ... your bed-ridden photo looks like you just left a professional photo shoot. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Gig Harbor!
I've been checking in, to stay a"breast" of the situation!! Glad to know you're recovering from the first treatment, and ready to face the next. Wonderful to see the pictures - and that you've got the Healing Quilting wrapped around you.

Typical winter day here in Washington, a little sun, a spitting of rain, and a lot of cool. Want you to know that all is normal in the neighborhood. Paul had another mast delivered over the weekend - and he's out there now, making all kinds of noise with those tools of his. What does he do with all those masts?? I fully expect that house to sail away someday.

Stay strong!
Hugs, elaine
Flynn and Sammee