Thursday, March 27, 2008

In the clear...

Having heard so many horror stories about the effects of chemotherapy, I am greatful to report that the only effects that I have experienced thus far is a nasty metallic taste in my mouth and skin sensitivity (even the cats licking feels like my skin is burning off). For the most part I spent the weekend napping with no signs of nausea or bone pain!!

I also continue to make baby steps in my rehabilitation from the surgeries. I am able to finally pull a shirt over my head by myself and can now make it an entire day without a nap. Yesterday was especially exciting when I got to drive my car for the first time in almost two months-albeit it took both hands to put my car in reverse and release my emergency brake. However, the most frustrating part of the rehabilitation is how my body no longer feels like my body. I am in a constant state of uncomforableness due to the skin sensitivity, pulled back muscles, strained ribs, and random streaks of pain. I also still don't have feeling in most of my chest from the mastectomy, which makes the expanders feel like metal balls in my chest. Even the fact that I no longer enjoy my favorite foods because of the metallic taste in my mouth makes it feel like this is no longer my body but somebody elses.

The good news is that I am finally strong enough and mobile enough to take care of myself so that Brooke will finally be able to go home...I think the cats are the most excited about this news since they will no longer be subjected to Brooke's "affection" and Brooke is uber excited since she will be able to get a full nights sleep without Sven wacking her head and sleeping on her face :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so strong and I think you are amazing! I have been thinking of you this week and hoping that you were doing ok. I'm sorry that you feel out of body, I'm not sure what that feels like but it does not sound fun! Keep up with your fight, you are doing GREAT! Take care! Love, Jeannette

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay,
I'm an old pal of your mom's, and you and your sisters used to baby sit for us in Gig Harbor about 10 or 15 years ago. Now, I'm not positive that you took care of our kids, Luther and Amelia, but I have a memory that we 'used' all three of Patti's daughters at one time or another.

I'm so sorry that you and your mom are in this BC Fight Club, but I want you to know that it's a battle that can be won. I was in the library the other day and your mom and I high-fived when we realized that in '89 I had the same BC diagnosis that she has. I've not looked back. There is a healthy and happy post-cancer future, Lindsay, and you can and will kick cancer's @ss!!

As I read through your blog, your post regarding Sally Saleve'a stunned me. My very dear friend is Beth Saleve'a, who is married to Sally's cousin Sam. Beth and I work together at Tacoma Community College, and before reading your blog, I'd heard about the loss of your beloved boss. I'm so sorry--Sally sounds like she was truly exceptional.

I send you and your mom all manner of spiritual oomph, love and go-getums. Carry on, dear Lindsay~
Bekah Townsend (Bonow)

Unknown said...

Lindsay! Hey girl. I've been thinking about you. I know you've been through heaps already, but you can do it. You're already doing it! You're an amazingly strong person, and if you are ever feeling overwhelmed, you have tons of friends and family who are here to help lift you back up. It IS all about the baby steps, and we're all behind you the entire way. Love ya girl!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are becoming self sufficient. Chemo isn't quite the ogre we believe it to be, No fun for sure, but can be managed.

I understand the out of body feeling. It is hard to explain other than there is an unreality to it.

I can't answer the skin sensitivity, but you should check with you doctor on. There might be something for it.

Let me know when you are 'game' for an Angels Game. I love you and keep on keeping on. You are doing terrific and are so so HOT!!!

See You Soon!

Susan

Anonymous said...

Metal balls in your chest? A pussy (cat) in your sister's face? Geez! What kinda of brothel are you running over there at Casa Anderson?!

Looking forward to cooking for you next Sunday. It will be good ol fashion, bad for you, comfort food!

Alicia

Abeyance said...

Lins -

I rarely check Facebook but I happened to be surfing it today and ran across your blog. I keep thinking I need to drop you a note but I'm too involved in my own made-up dramas to focus on the REAL dramas in other people's. I admit it, I'm totally self-absorbed.

But anyway, I read through your blog and am glad that you're doing relatively well. I'll be thinking about you today.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz, Glad to hear your are doing so well. You are a strong woman with an amazing support group. Hang in there. Lots of love Ariel